New Mexico Book Association (NMBA) is the only statewide nonprofit serving all book professionals. We are passionate book people who have come together through our common interests to preserve, protect, and promote the book in all its forms. Our members include book creators, writers, editors, publishers, illustrators, librarians, booksellers, book designers, typesetters, printers, literacy advocates, agents, reviewers, and avid readers.
NMBA - SINCE 1994
Founded in 1994, NMBA has been recognized as one of the country’s most active book associations. Our many services include professional development workshops, our Libro newsletter, monthly networking luncheons, New Mexico’s Book World (a resource guide to the NM book community), a monthly online events calendar, opportunities to show and sell books at major book festivals and trade shows, and more. Please explore this site to see all that we do!
To view our current newsletter, Libro Book News, with our current activities, click the link here: LIBRO_V21N6 nov
Upcoming Events and Programs
IBPA Publishing University Scholarship Opportunity, 2016 – Deadline to Apply:
November 30th 2015!
The Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA) is the largest professional publishing association in the United States. Every year IBPA sponsors Publishing University, a two-day program focused on issues important to independent publishers and self-published authors. Next year’s program is April 8 and 9, 2016 in Salt Lake City, Utah. The deadline for submission is November 30th, 2015, so send us your application now!
IBPA’s Affiliate Scholarship Program offers members of affiliate associations the chance to attend IBPA’s Publishing University free of charge. IBPA awards one complimentary ticket to Publishing University to each affiliate each year. NMBA is an affiliate member of IBPA. The ticket covers attendance at all Publishing University programs. To see the IPBA-U schedule go to: http://www.publishinguniversity.org/#!schedule/cee5
If you would like to submit an application, email Susie Waterman, Executive Administrator NMBA, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information. The NMBA Board will review the applications and submit one to IBPA (scholarship applicants cannot submit applications directly).
- Are you or your company a member of NMBA and IBPA?
- Your full name, company, and title
- Your address, phone numbers, email, and website
- Number of years you have been in publishing
- Your current and future plans as a publisher (150 words or less)
- What you hope to gain from attending the Publishing University (150 words or less)
- How you plan to share the information you gather at Publishing University with other members of your affiliate association (150 words or less)
PubWest 2016 is now open for Registration! http://pubwest.org/pubwest-2016-conference/
The PubWest Conference 2016 will be held February 4–6, 2016 at the La Fonda on the Plaza, Santa Fe, New Mexico. The conference theme is “A Passion for Books” and will offer four keynotes, three intensive sessions, and ten dynamic sessions all focused on making publishing more profitable.
Register now and save 15% during our Early Bird Special (ends December 18, 2015)
- Keynotes by Kristen Gilligan and Len Vlahos, the new owners of the Tattered Cover Bookstore; Natalie Elliot, PhD, Saint John’s College (Santa Fe, NM); Jim Childs, publisher at Rowman & Littlefield’s Globe Pequot, Lyons Press, and Falcon Guides; and Mira Jacob, author of The Sleepwalker’s Guide to Dancing, who recently delivered the groundbreaking talk entitled “I Gave A Speech About Race to the Publishing Industry and No One Heard Me.”
- Preconference intensive sessions, including “The Future of Your House: Mergers, Acquisitions, & Sales,” and “Workflow Strategies and Tools: Moving Beyond E-mail and Word.” • An extended publisher and head of house roundtable.
- Sessions on “Publicity: What Moves the Sales Needle for Publishers,” “Fact Checking and Plagiarism,” “RGB vs. CMYK and Other Issues in Producing Accurate Color,” “Managing Your Pre-orders—Predict your First 90 Day Sales,” “Research in Contemporary Book Publishing,” “Best Marketing Strategies for Sending Metadata,” and “No ‘ME’ in TEAM.” • Peer-to-peer roundtable discussions for sharing ways to prevail in this transforming industry.
Plus, this year: • A tamale-making competition! • “Speedy Spiels,” where selected attendees and speakers have four minutes to share something they’ve found to be helpful in their publishing experience. • Interactive Game: “Art & Artists.”
SWBDA Award Winners
Here are the winning recipients of the 2015 Southwest Book Design and Production Awards, announced and presented on June 17, 2015 at the NMBA Gala and Membership Meeting. Read More