THE BOOK REVIEW PROGRAM IS TEMPORARILY ON HOLD UNTIL A NEW COORDINATOR STEPS UP. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN COORDINATING THIS PROJECT, PLEASE CONTACT firstname.lastname@example.org.
For reference only: BOOK REVIEW INSTRUCTIONS
We hope you will submit a review to Amazon after reading the book, but it’s your choice. If you do, your review doesn’t have to be a college essay, but we hope you will provide reasons for your opinion. The last sentence in your review should be - This book was given to me in exchange for an honest review. This is an Amazon requirement.
Some suggestions: (For those of you who haven’t done a review on Amazon.) (If you have, still check number 6, YOUR REWARD.)
~ Be sure your review matches your star rating. It looks odd if you have nothing positive to say about a book you’ve rated as five stars.
~ Consider your overall reaction. What contributed to that reaction? For fiction, you might look at plot, characterization, setting, theme, point of view. Also, whether it’s fiction or nonfiction, consider use of language, subject matter, and, if it’s an issue for you, editing problems. Certainly, organization, development, and clarity may be the basis of your review of nonfiction. Poetry is such a personal expression, there are many things that may inform your opinion—sensory details, rhythm, structure, etc. It’s your review, so you write it the way you want it. It does not have to be super long. These are simply suggestions to help you get started.
At the end of your review, do include the sentence: This book was given to me in exchange for an honest review.
Posting your review:
- Find the book’s page on Amazon. (Just go to the Amazon site and type the title in the search box. Then click on the book to get to its page.)
- Scroll down to Customer Reviews.
- Click on Write a customer review.
- There will be about four survey items to rate first. Then you will select how many stars you want to award it. Five stars is best. One is worst.
- There is then a blank for you to write your review. Remember to add the following sentence at the end of your review: This book was given to me in exchange for an honest review. (I always compose my review in Word beforehand and then copy it to this blank.)
- YOUR REWARD: There is a button above the blank where you wrote your review labeled Insert product link. Next to it is a “What’s this?” link that opens to directions on how to do this. Briefly, you will go to your book’s page, copy the URL, go back to the review, click on product link and paste your URL there. (I’ve kept a copy of my own URL in a Word document on my computer so that it’s easy for me to find it, copy it, and paste it without losing the review page.)
- Then submit your review. It may take a little time before it appears on the author's page.
You may want to save or print this email for when you’re ready to do your review. I’m operating under the assumption that many of us have never submitted a review to Amazon. Let me know if you have any problems with it.
Thank you for participating in this effort to help promote a fellow author’s work. We hope you enjoy your read and come back to review other books.